Benedick thinks, quite simply, that it is unmanly to be in love. He says Claudio's manner and intrests have changed greatly. From music to clothing, and even his speech patterns seem to have changed! Ever since he fell in love, he's never been the same. He promises no such woman will make a fool of him! Unless he meets the right one...
Ten minutes later Benedick is madly in love. How? The trickery of Claudio, Leonato, and
Don Pedro . The conversation (benedick is eavesdropping) Goes like this:
Claudio: "I did never think that lady would have loved any man."
Leonato: "No, nor I neither, but most wonderful that she should so dote on Signor Benedick, whom she hath in all outward behaviors seemed ever to abhor. By my troth, my lord, I cannot tell what to think of it, but that she loves him with an enraged affection, it is past the infinite of thought."
And so they go on, stressing the passion of Beatrice's love, and her unwillingness to tell Benedick. Can you belive that Benedick buys it? He claims that:
"I should think this a gull but that the white-bearded fellow speaks it. Knavery cannot, sure, hide himself in such reverence."
Perhaps he trust in Leonato is misplaced. In a mirror of this scene, Hero, Ursula and Margaret speak of Benedick's love for a spying Beatrice!
Hero: No, truly, Ursula, she is too disdainful. I know her spirits are as coy and wild As haggards of the rock.
Ursula: But are you sure that Benedick loves Beatrice so entirely?
Hero: So says the Prince and my new-trothèd lord.
It's like watching the same scene twice! And yet, just like that, They're in love with each other once more.
Well answered and well written. I liked your transfer from the two staged discussions.
ReplyDeleteGood job. I really liked how you had a lot of quotes. The last sentence really made me think about how the two scenes mirrored each other.
ReplyDeleteit did seem like you answered the Q but maybe you could make your posted a bit shorter
ReplyDeleteE
Very, very in depth, probably too much so, a little shorter perhaps?
ReplyDeleteNS