Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Hamlet: Lesson III: Review Question III (Week... Eleven, I think.)

As Hamlet steps on to the stage (Act III, Scene I) he utters one of the most famous lines in the history of literature: "To be, or not to be? that is the question-". The soliloquy that follows is literally a matter of life and death. Hamlet says over, and over again that the sufferings in this world are many and terrible, and to die is to be free of them. Hamlet then asks why people don't just choose this freedom, and commit suicide. This being a soliloquy, he oddly (but not unexpectedly) answers the question himself; "To sleep, perchance to dream—ay, there’s the rub, For in that sleep of death what dreams may come When we have shuffled off this mortal coil, Must give us pause. There’s the respect That makes calamity of so long life.". What Hamlet is basically saying, is that if we are to shed our earthly trials and tribulations, then who knows what might be placed upon us then? I have long upheld my belief that above all other phobias, man fears the unknown. Hamlet reinforces this idea by saying that man fears the greatest unknown of all- life after death.

 -McKinley :D

5 comments:

  1. McKinely,McKinely, you are very good at writing, but you must remember, "Just the facts man!". Three
    sentences!

    NS

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a well written post that clearly convayes your thoughts, good job. It does need to be shorter but it can be longer than 3 sentences. To shorten it you could have used partial quotes intertwined in your sentences instead of full quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very true and philosophical. Dido to what August said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked how you put the quotes in bold. your thoughts were clear. (What do u mean Nate?)
    E;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it a lot and it was clear to read.

    ReplyDelete